Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Stop the Clock - I've fallen off the BNN wagon

Yep - stop the clock. It's 21 Jan. Only 21 days in and I've made the distinct thudding sound of someone falling from a wagon.

Not so much because of something I wanted or even needed - but for gifts for a birthday party.

I thought I was covered for the inevitable requirement of presents - I even have a pinterest board labelled "pretty frugal gifts" where I pin so many great present ideas of things I can make that would be appropriate and well recieved by girls in the preschool to tween age range (see below for some random cute examples):

Owl and Kitty bags - via pinterest

teeshirt fabric bracelet - via pinterest

glass tile pendants - via pinterest

pom pom necklace - via pinterest


But I was caught off guard.

The invitation came in just yesterday for a joint party for two tween girls on this sunday! And quite frankly I just don't want to spend my last few days of my holidays making presents - no matter how gorgeous these girls are!!

So I caved. We went shopping.

My budget is still ok as I bought some great things the girls will love ON SALE! But nonetheless the presents are new. Made from resources which didn't really need to be produced over again - as more than enough already exists in the world to have made these gifts from recycled materials.

So lesson learned. I need to be much more prepared if I'm going to get better at this. I need a present drawer with things I have pre-made and can draw on when I don't feel up to making something on the spot.

Prior preparation blah blah blah... ;-)

2 comments:

Bron Maxabella said...

I was HOPELESS at BNN and promptly let the wagon roll right on by (buy?). x

Jennifer - The Deliberate Mom said...

Whew! This is quite the challenge. I think I would struggle with it. Don't beat yourself up too much over it. It's still great that you're buying less.

Wishing you a lovely day.
xoxo